Borrowing Privileges (for You, Your Research Assistant, and Your Family)
To view what your may check out and for how long, please view the Services page. New and Visiting Faculty must visit Magill Library front desk in person to activate their library account.
Your Research Assistant
Faculty may request proxy borrowing privileges for their student research assistants. Proxy privileges allow a student to borrow materials in a faculty member's name with the faculty member's borrowing privileges. The faculty member will be responsible for all materials thus borrowed; the faculty member should ensure that the research assistant is using the privilege solely to obtain materials needed by the faculty member or required by the research assistant's assigned project.
Click here to apply for these privileges.
Your partner and children may have courtesy borrowing privileges at Haverford, Bryn Mawr, and Swarthmore libraries. To apply, please visit the Magill Library front desk with appropriate ID.
Research & Course Instruction Support
Subject librarians are happy to assist you in any way possible, from creating resource guides for your course to visiting your class.
In support of the faculty, librarians teach students research skills and strategies, including the very critical work of finding and interrogating texts, in both print and digital formats. Librarians also facilitate rich, complex, dynamic, and dialectic engagement with these texts. At all academic levels, librarians foster information literacy, understanding, critical reflection, knowledge production, and scholarship with classes, while also providing intensive, one-on-one support of students throughout their college career and culminating in their senior capstone projects.
Librarians provide a scaffolding of instruction that takes students from the basics of library catalogs and database searching, through an informed use of both print and digital sources, to an insider view of their chosen discipline's literature. Students at each level are encouraged to develop the evaluative and critical skills that will lead them to more complex projects. Librarians help students learn to contextualize ideas, whether on the screen or in print, and to see themselves as active participants in a purposeful conversation.
Librarians work with faculty to provide instruction tailored to the needs of a particular class in terms of its subject matter. They prepare web pages of relevant resources, so that students can become familiar with the key tools they need for research (see the Tri-College list of guides for current courses). In their discussions with classes, librarians bring in examples of content and issues that relate to course readings and to individual student research topics. They also explain strategies for navigating library systems, scholarly literatures, and the hybrid world of digital and print resources.
The Library's instruction format is very flexible. It can be used in the classroom, in the library, or in a workshop outside of class hours. Students also work individually with librarians on approaches to and resources for a research question. Many students, particularly senior thesis writers, remain in contact with their librarians throughout their projects. Content for instruction can focus on a class research paper, on particular databases, on resources for a subject area, or whatever will be most useful to students.
Subject librarians work closely with individual departments to assist faculty in their research projects and in preparing courses. We can help you plan research strategies, access key databases, and stay current in academic fields. Please take advantage of these services and ask about more:
Inquiries and Research
- Quick answers that can save you time. "I have part of a citation but can’t find the article."
- In-depth research help with resources and databases that librarians use with facility. "The cited reference search in the Web of Science indicates that Bennett’s article has had an impact beyond the field of gender studies."
- Orientation to research in a field or topic area that is new to you.
- Notifications about relevant new titles from your departmental librarian.
Information Management and Publishing.
- Advice on data access, manipulation, and storage.
- Assistance in working with different formats (image, film, audio), including access, rights, and reproduction.
- Help with managing citations through bibliographic software like Zotero and EndNote.
- Information about publishing, copyright, review sources, and the ways that libraries provide access to scholarship.
Work with Students and Classes
- Initial training for your student research assistants and support for them throughout their projects.
- Course guides tailored to the topics in your individual class and the needs of your students.
- Class instruction on research methods and resources pertinent to specific projects. Faculty decide on the length of the session and location (classroom or library).
- Workshops (outside of class) teach a variety of proficiencies which students need as they progress toward the senior capstone project. Faculty can recommend workshops to students in order to build their skills.
- Librarians meet individually with students to give them guidance throughout the research process. They facilitate students’ use and understanding of a wide array of materials, both print and digital, available beyond the collections in the Tri-Colleges.
Collections and Resources
- Library collections at Haverford that support your teaching and research interests can be developed through a partnership with your departmental librarian.
- Library staff have extensive experience in acquiring material published across the globe, out-of-print titles, and other hard-to-get items.
- There are additional relevant collections at Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore, most materials deliverable within 24 hours.
- Assistance in identifying rare materials in tri-college collections that will serve teaching and research needs. Also help in finding digital or microfilm copies of rare materials along with information about where the original material can be viewed.
- A wide array of resources beyond the tri-colleges is available with expedited services through E-Z Borrow, Interlibrary Loan, and Article Delivery.
- Haverford faculty members have privileges to borrow materials at the University of Pennsylvania and may use collections at Princeton and other research libraries through Haverford’s membership in SHARES.
- Digital Services and Scholarship staff works with faculty, students and Instructional and Informational Technology Services Staff to produce digital projects for classes and for longer term projects.
- For more information, see the Digital Scholarship page.
To find out more, please contact your subject librarian:
To see what is on electronic reserves for a particular course, please log in to Moodle.
To add materials to electronic reserves, please contact Theresa Donahue (Magill Library), Dora Wong (White Science Library & Astronomy Library), Adam Crandell (Union Music Library), or your administrative assistant, as appropriate.
To see what is on physical reserves for a particular course, search by either professor last name or course number/name:
To add materials to physical reserves, please fill out the form below or visit any library front desk.
Streaming Media for Your Course
The Libraries will make streaming versions of media available in Moodle course sites. We will stream media in keeping with the TEACH Act, the College's Copyright policy, and available library resources. This means that:
- We will require a copy of the final course syllabus, on which the title of the work must appear.
- Works to be streamed must be owned by the Libraries. We will attempt to purchase copies of media for our collection when possible.
- We will not prepare for streaming third-party copies, recordings or transfers, including rentals or personal recordings of broadcasted material.
In order to request streaming audio for a course, please send a list of required recordings and your course syllabus at least 2 weeks before the semester (or date needed for streaming) to Adam Crandell. Once the streaming audio is ready, it will be linked in your Moodle course.
In order to request streaming video for a course, please fill out this form for each film and send your course syllabus to Laurie Allen. Once the streaming video is ready, it will be linked in your Moodle course.
Because many films are only available for temporary streaming rights at a cost of $125 per course, we ask that you indicate whether you would like the Libraries to purchase the streaming rights at that price. For those films not available for lease, we will attempt to obtain permission from the rights holder of the work.
Once you have submitted your request, you will recieve an email with further details on how the streaming video process works. If you would like to schedule a film screening venue for your class, please view the Hires and Gummere Morley rooms on the Places page.
Haverford Scholarship is a comprehensive and authoritative archive of citations to Haverford College faculty publications. This repository contains over 3,000 records dating back to 1986.
Search by Keyword, Author, or Title:
Faculty wishing to submit citations for inclusion in Haverford Scholarship should contact Norm Medeiros.
Effective January, 2011, the National Science Foundation requires that all applications for research funding include a data management plan to describe how the data created from the funded research will be shared, preserved and described. The library can assist Haverford faculty in managing their data to meet this requirement.
The Library will help researchers locate appropriate disciplinary repositories, when possible. Otherwise, we can work with faculty to provide local solutions, including Triceratops. Triceratops is Haverford's instance of DSpace, the open source repository software jointly developed by MIT and HP, and widely deployed for academia. Triceritops can be used to publish, manage, and preserve data for wider distribution. It also provides enhanced access restrictions and embargo periods that can be applied as requested by researchers. Data files are easily downloaded by either authorized users or a general audience, as permitted.
For those faculty relying on the storage server, please note that data on the storage server is redundantly spread across multiple san servers for easy backup. Tape archives of the data are also archived, and the college maintains both local and off-site copies of these tapes as a normal function of disaster preparedness.
- University of Wisconsin Research Data Services
- ICPSR - Guidelines for Effective Data Management Plans
- Cornell Univesity Data Management Planning
Links to data management requirements and plans relevant to specific Directorates, Offices, Divisions, Programs, or other NSF units, are provided below. If guidance specific to the program is not provided, then the requirements established in Grant Proposal Guide, Chapter II.C.2.j apply.
- Education & Human Resources Directorate (EHR)
- Engineering Directorate (ENG)
- Geosciences Directorate (GEO)
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate (MPS)
- Division of Astronomical Sciences
- Division of Chemistry
- Division of Materials Research
- Division of Mathematical Sciences
- Division of Physics
- Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences Directorate (SBE)
For non-NSF data requirements, please consult: http://www.lib.umn.edu/datamanagement/funding
- Atmospheric Science
National Center for Atmospheric Research - Scientific datasets of historical value are curated and catalogued at the Mass Storage System
Dryad - an international repository of data underlying peer-reviewed articles in the basic and applied biosciences.
Protein Data Bank - An Information portal to biological macromolecular structures
UniProt - Submit a new protein sequence to UniProtKB using SPIN, a web-based tool for submitting directly sequenced protein sequences to the Universal Protein Resource (for new nucleotide submissions, use EMBL's WEBIN instead).
PubChem - provides information on the biological activities of small molecules. It includes substance information, compound structures, and bioactivity data in three primary databases, PCSubstance, PCCompound, and PCBioAssay, respectively.
- Computer Science
Cooperative Association for Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA) - provides tools and analyses promoting the engineering and maintenance of a robust, scalable global Internet infrastructure.
- Earth Science
GEON - Portal for sharing, publishing, and integrating data.
National Oceanographic Data Center - NODC is an organization made up of the Oceanographic Data Center, National Coastal Data Development Center, World Data Center for Oceanography, and the NOAA Central Library, integrated to provide access to the world's most comprehensive sources of marine environmental data and information.
- Space Science
National Space Science Data Center - NSSDC accepts data from: active archives in the space sciences funded through the Science Missions Directorate, missions in that same directorate, and individual scientists (mission or instrument principal investigators).
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) - The world's largest archive of digital social science data. ICPSR staff can guide you in preparing your data for archiving and distribution. See their Guide to Social Science Data Preparation and Archiving and their page on Depositing Data.
Additional Data Repositories
New to the Collection
- Samia (the Woman from Samos)
of Athens Menander
Cambridge New York : Cambridge University Press, 2013
- Hegel and the art of negation : negativity, creativity and contemporary thought
London : I.B. Tauris, 
- Beyond grief : sculpture and wonder in the Gilded Age cemetery
Cynthia J Mills
Washington, D.C. : Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Press, 2014
- Books and ideas : the library of Plato and the Academy : chronicle, the role of the reader, the books underlying the Dialogues, publishing procedures, design philosophy
New Castle, DE : Oak Knoll Press Houten, Netherlands : Hes & De Graaf Publishers Athens, Greece : Aton, 2013
- Haunted empire : Apple after Steve Jobs
Yukari Iwatani Kane
New York : HarperBusiness, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, 
- Being and God in Aristotle and Heidegger : the role of method in thinking the infinite
Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, c2000
- Katy Grannan
San Francisco, CA : Fraenkel Gallery, 
- City crime rankings : crime in metropolitan America
Lawrence, Kan. : Morgan Quitno Corp., c1995-
- Out of the clear blue sky
New York, NY : Virgil Films, 
- The Heathen School : a story of hope and betrayal in the age of the early Republic
New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2014
- Cosby : his life and times
New York, NY : Simon & Schuster, 2014
- Book of proof
Richard H Hammack
Richmond, Va. : Virginia Commonwealth University, 2013
[London?] : Mack, c2014
- No plastic sleeves : portfolio and self-promotion guide for photographers and designers
Burlington, MA : Focal Press, 2015
- The best writing on mathematics 2010
Princeton : Princeton University Press, c2011
- Putting education to work : how Cristo Rey high schools are transforming urban education
New York, NY : HarperOne, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, 
- Dark matters : exploring the realm of psychic devastation
- Midnight at the Pera Palace : the birth of modern Istanbul
New York : W.W. Norton and Company, 2014
- The work of recognition : Caribbean Colombia and the postemancipation struggle for citizenship
Chapel Hill : The University of North Carolina Press, 2014
- How to study as a mathematics major
Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2013
- Writing papers in psychology : proposals, research papers, literature reviews, poster presentations and concise reports
Ralph L Rosnow
Belmont, Calif. : Wadsworth Cengage Learning, c2012
- Changing difference : queer politics and shifting identities : Peter Hujar, Mark Morrisroe, Jack Smith
Cinisello Balsamo, Milano : Silvana, c2012
- Cabeza de Vaca [DVD]
[United States] : New Concorde Home Entertainment, 2001
- Animal minds & animal ethics : connecting two separate fields
Bielefeld : Transcript, 
- The first Georgians : art & monarchy, 1714-1760
Royal Collection (Great Britain)
London : Royal Collection Trust, 2014
- Essex : the cultural impact of an Elizabethan courtier
Manchester : Manchester University Press, 2013
- The institutional origins of communal violence : Indonesia's transition from authoritarian rule
New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2014
- The evolution of grammar : tense, aspect, and modality in the languages of the world
Joan L Bybee
Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1994
- Gandhi [DVD]
Culver City, Calif. : Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, 
- Apocalyptic discourse in contemporary culture : post-millennial perspectives on the end of the world
New York : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014
- Politics is a joke! : how TV comedians are remaking political life
S. Robert Lichter
Boulder : Westview Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group, 
- Presidential campaigning and social media : an analysis of the 2012 campaign
John Allen Hendricks
New York : Oxford University Press, 
- Particle fever [DVD]
United States naf
- Ravished Armenia and the story of Aurora Mardiganian
Jackson : University Press of Mississippi, 2014
- Routledge handbook of Islam in the West
Abingdon, Oxon New York, NY : Routledge, 2015
- Alfred Hitchcock's To catch a thief [DVD]
Hollywood, Calif. : Paramount, 
- Pride and prejudice [DVD]
Burbank, CA : Distributed by Warner Home Video, 2006
- Days with my father
San Francisco : PQ Blackwell in association with Chronicle Books, 2010
- Les soeurs Bronte [DVD] = The Bronte sisters
Port Washington, NY : Cohen Media Group, 
- Major health care policies : fifty state profiles
Washington, D.C. : Health Policy Tracking Service, 1999-
- Sexplosion : from Andy Warhol to 'A clockwork orange'-- how a generation of pop rebels broke all the taboos
New York, N.Y. : itbooks, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers, 
- Fluxus : the practice of non-duality
Amsterdam : Rodopi, 2014
- Bruce Almighty [DVD]
Universal City, Calif. : Universal, c2003
- Franz Rosenzweig's conversions : world denial and world redemption
Bloomington : Indiana University Press, 
- Kids [DVD]
[United States] : Trimark Home Video, 
- Analyzing baseball data with R
Boca Raton : CRC Press, 
- Land and sea
Washington, D.C. : Plutarch Press, 1997
- The Nag Hammadi story
James M. (James McConkey) Robinson
Leiden Boston : Brill, 2014
- Kirtland Temple : the biography of a shared Mormon sacred space
David James Howlett
Urbana, Illinois : University of Illinois Press , 2014
- A world of paper : Louis XIV, Colbert de Torcy, and the rise of the information state
John C. Rule
Montreal : McGill-Queen's University Press, 
- La caravana de la muerte : los zarpazos del Puma
Santiago : Ediciones Chile-America, CESOC, 2001
- Fune wo amu [DVD] = Zi li ren jian = The great passage
Xianggang : An le ying pian you xian gong si : [Distributed by] an le ying shi you xian gong si, 
- Interrogating popular culture : key questions
New York London : Routledge, 2015
- One explorer's glossary of Quaker terms
Warren Sylvester Smith
Philadelphia, Pa. : Quaker Press of Friends General Conference, c2002
- A handbook of early middle Arabic
Jerusalem : Max Schloessinger Memorial Foundation, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2002
- Old English shorter poems
Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press, 2012-2014
- Los sinsabores del verdadero policia
Barcelona : Editorial Anagrama, 2014, 2011
- The best writing on mathematics 2012
Princeton, NJ : Princeton University Press, c2013
- The best writing on mathematics 2011
Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press, c2012
- The grapes of wrath [DVD]
Beverly Hills, Calif. : 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, c2004
- Asian slaves in colonial Mexico : from chinos to Indians
New York : Cambridge University Press, 2014
- Ambiguous bodies : reading the grotesque in Japanese setsuwa tales
Michelle Ilene Osterfeld Li
Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press, c2009
- Los judios en Espana : estudios historicos, politicos y literarios
Jose Amador de los Rios
Pamplona, Navarra, Espana : Urgoiti, 2013
- The learned ones : Nahua intellectuals in postconquest Mexico
Kelly S. McDonough
Tucson : University of Arizona Press, 2014
- Imitation of life (1959) [DVD]
Universal City, Calif. : Universal Studios, 1959 : [Distributed by] Universal Studios Home Video, c2002
- Joyce in the Hibernian metropolis : essays
Columbus, Ohio : Ohio State University Press, c1996
- Karachi : ordered disorder and the struggle for the city
New York : Oxford University Press, 2014
- Basement sanctuaries
Amsterdam : Schilt Publishing, 2014
- Booklet about Friends in Orange County, Ind. : helpful truth about the Friends or Quakers
Gerene Osborn Pluris
Paoli, Ind. : G.O. Pluris, 1958 (Paoli, Ind. : Stout's Print Shop)
- South African yearbook of international affairs
Johannesburg : South African Institute of International Affairs
- The Shandean
Coxwold, York : Lawrence Sterne Trust, 1989-
- La tejedora de sombras
Jorge Volpi Escalante
Mexico, D.F. : Planeta, c2012
- Watashi ga hikikomotta riyu
Tokyo : Bukkuman Sha, 2000
- Sexuality in school : the limits of education
Minneapolis, MN : University of Minnesota Press, 
Alan H Sommerstein
Warminster, England : Aris & Phillips, c2002
- Brazilian Portuguese-English/English-Brazilian Portuguese dictionary & phrasebook
Osmar de Almeida Santos
New York : Hippocrene Books, c2004
- Religion, language and community in the Roman Near East : Constantine to Muhammad
Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2013
- Slovenska nova vlna : 80. leta = The Slovak New Wave : the 80s
Praha : KANT, 2014
- Encyclopedia of the romantic era, 1760-1850
New York : Fitzroy Dearborn, 2004
- Inside photography : interviews with ten editors
David interviewer Brittain
Stockport : Dewi Lewis Publishing, 2013
- Effective writing in psychology : papers, posters, and presentations
Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2012
- Access. Philadelphia
New York, NY : Access Press Dunmore, PA : HarperCollins, c1994-
- How to think like a mathematician : a companion to undergraduate mathematics
New York : Cambridge University Press, c2009
- Pohledy z okna meho bytu : 1981-2003 = Views from the window of my flat : 1981-2003
[Praha] : KANT, 2013
- Burials at the Sandy Spring Friends Meeting Graveyard and at the Woodside Cemetery, 1754 to 2003 : a listing of burials and the writing on grave stones of a Quaker community
[Sandy Spring, Md. : Graveyard and Grounds Committee, Sandy Spring Friends Meeting, 2003]
- Writing history in the global era
New York : W.W. Norton & Company, 
New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2014
- Red ball of a sun slipping down
[Montana] : Many Voices Press, 
- Maggie the mechanic
Seattle, Wash. : Fantagraphics, 2007
- Play index
New York : H.W. Wilson Co
- Changing US security strategy : the search for stability and the non-war against non-terrorism
Anthony H. Cordesman
Washington, DC : Center for Strategic and International Studies Lanhman, MD : Rowman and Littlefield, 
- The best writing on mathematics 2013
Princeton : Princeton University Press, 
- Some like it hot [DVD]
Santa Monica, CA : MGM Home Entertainment, 
- Dr. Strangelove, or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb [DVD]
Burbank, Calif. : Columbia TriStar Home Video, c2001
- Translation and language education : pedagogic approaches explored
Abingdon, Oxon New York : Routledge, 2014
- Dirty entanglements : corruption, crime, and terrorism
Louise I. Shelley
New York, NY : Cambridge University Press, 2014
- Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights
New York : Bloom's Literary Criticism, c2007
- What is veiling?
Chapel Hill : The University of North Carolina Press, 
- Brazilian Portuguese-English, English-Brazilian Portuguese concise dictionary
New York : Hippocrene Books, 2010
- Multiple interest rate analysis : theory and applications
Michael J. (Lecturer in finance) Osborne
Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014
- The captive stage : performance and the proslavery imagination of the antebellum North
Douglas A. Jones
Ann Arbor [Michigan] : The University of Michigan Press, 
- The history of rock 'n' roll in ten songs
New Haven : Yale University Press, 
- The Routledge handbook of Hispanic applied linguistics
New York, NY : Routledge, 2015
- Nick Waplington : settlement
[London, England] : Mack, c2014
- Face in the crowd
[Washington, DC : Corcoran Gallery of Art, 2013]
- The New York Times book of mathematics : more than 100 years of writing by the numbers
New York, NY : Sterling, 
- Watchmen of England : early Quaker theology and social protest
Gary Michael Knarr
- The Sufi doctrine of man : Sadr al-Din al-Qunawi's metaphysical anthropology
Leiden Boston : Brill, 
- The day begins at sunset : perceptions of time in the Islamic world
Barbara Freyer Stowasser
London New York : I.B. Tauris, 2014