Borrowing Privileges (for You, Your Research Assistant, and Your Family)
To view what your may check out and for how long, please view the Services page. New and Visiting Faculty must visit Magill Library front desk in person to activate their library account.
Your Research Assistant
Faculty may request proxy borrowing privileges for their student research assistants. Proxy privileges allow a student to borrow materials in a faculty member's name with the faculty member's borrowing privileges. The faculty member will be responsible for all materials thus borrowed; the faculty member should ensure that the research assistant is using the privilege solely to obtain materials needed by the faculty member or required by the research assistant's assigned project.
Click here to apply for these privileges.
Your partner and children may have courtesy borrowing privileges at Haverford, Bryn Mawr, and Swarthmore libraries. To apply, please visit the Magill Library front desk with appropriate ID.
Research & Course Instruction Support
Subject librarians are happy to assist you in any way possible, from creating resource guides for your course to visiting your class.
In support of the faculty, librarians teach students research skills and strategies, including the very critical work of finding and interrogating texts, in both print and digital formats. Librarians also facilitate rich, complex, dynamic, and dialectic engagement with these texts. At all academic levels, librarians foster information literacy, understanding, critical reflection, knowledge production, and scholarship with classes, while also providing intensive, one-on-one support of students throughout their college career and culminating in their senior capstone projects.
Librarians provide a scaffolding of instruction that takes students from the basics of library catalogs and database searching, through an informed use of both print and digital sources, to an insider view of their chosen discipline's literature. Students at each level are encouraged to develop the evaluative and critical skills that will lead them to more complex projects. Librarians help students learn to contextualize ideas, whether on the screen or in print, and to see themselves as active participants in a purposeful conversation.
Librarians work with faculty to provide instruction tailored to the needs of a particular class in terms of its subject matter. They prepare web pages of relevant resources, so that students can become familiar with the key tools they need for research (see the Tri-College list of guides for current courses). In their discussions with classes, librarians bring in examples of content and issues that relate to course readings and to individual student research topics. They also explain strategies for navigating library systems, scholarly literatures, and the hybrid world of digital and print resources.
The Library's instruction format is very flexible. It can be used in the classroom, in the library, or in a workshop outside of class hours. Students also work individually with librarians on approaches to and resources for a research question. Many students, particularly senior thesis writers, remain in contact with their librarians throughout their projects. Content for instruction can focus on a class research paper, on particular databases, on resources for a subject area, or whatever will be most useful to students.
Subject librarians work closely with individual departments to assist faculty in their research projects and in preparing courses. We can help you plan research strategies, access key databases, and stay current in academic fields. Please take advantage of these services and ask about more:
Inquiries and Research
- Quick answers that can save you time. "I have part of a citation but can’t find the article."
- In-depth research help with resources and databases that librarians use with facility. "The cited reference search in the Web of Science indicates that Bennett’s article has had an impact beyond the field of gender studies."
- Orientation to research in a field or topic area that is new to you.
- Notifications about relevant new titles from your departmental librarian.
Information Management and Publishing.
- Advice on data access, manipulation, and storage.
- Assistance in working with different formats (image, film, audio), including access, rights, and reproduction.
- Help with managing citations through bibliographic software like Zotero and EndNote.
- Information about publishing, copyright, review sources, and the ways that libraries provide access to scholarship.
Work with Students and Classes
- Initial training for your student research assistants and support for them throughout their projects.
- Course guides tailored to the topics in your individual class and the needs of your students.
- Class instruction on research methods and resources pertinent to specific projects. Faculty decide on the length of the session and location (classroom or library).
- Workshops (outside of class) teach a variety of proficiencies which students need as they progress toward the senior capstone project. Faculty can recommend workshops to students in order to build their skills.
- Librarians meet individually with students to give them guidance throughout the research process. They facilitate students’ use and understanding of a wide array of materials, both print and digital, available beyond the collections in the Tri-Colleges.
Collections and Resources
- Library collections at Haverford that support your teaching and research interests can be developed through a partnership with your departmental librarian.
- Library staff have extensive experience in acquiring material published across the globe, out-of-print titles, and other hard-to-get items.
- There are additional relevant collections at Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore, most materials deliverable within 24 hours.
- Assistance in identifying rare materials in tri-college collections that will serve teaching and research needs. Also help in finding digital or microfilm copies of rare materials along with information about where the original material can be viewed.
- A wide array of resources beyond the tri-colleges is available with expedited services through E-Z Borrow, Interlibrary Loan, and Article Delivery.
- Haverford faculty members have privileges to borrow materials at the University of Pennsylvania and may use collections at Princeton and other research libraries through Haverford’s membership in SHARES.
- Digital Services and Scholarship staff works with faculty, students and Instructional and Informational Technology Services Staff to produce digital projects for classes and for longer term projects.
- For more information, see the Digital Scholarship page.
To find out more, please contact your subject librarian:
To see what is on electronic reserves for a particular course, please log in to Moodle.
To add materials to electronic reserves, please contact Theresa Donahue (Magill Library), Carol Howe (White Science Library & Astronomy Library), Adam Crandell (Union Music Library), or your administrative assistant, as appropriate.
To see what is on physical reserves for a particular course, search by either professor last name or course number/name:
To add materials to physical reserves, please fill out the form below or visit any library front desk.
Streaming Media for Your Course
The Libraries will make streaming versions of media available in Moodle course sites. We will stream media in keeping with the TEACH Act, the College's Copyright policy, and available library resources. This means that:
- We will require a copy of the final course syllabus, on which the title of the work must appear.
- Works to be streamed must be owned by the Libraries. We will attempt to purchase copies of media for our collection when possible.
- We will not prepare for streaming third-party copies, recordings or transfers, including rentals or personal recordings of broadcasted material.
In order to request streaming audio for a course, please send a list of required recordings and your course syllabus at least 2 weeks before the semester (or date needed for streaming) to Adam Crandell. Once the streaming audio is ready, it will be linked in your Moodle course.
In order to request streaming video for a course, please fill out this form for each film and send your course syllabus to Adam Crandell. Once the streaming video is ready, it will be linked in your Moodle course.
Because many films are only available for temporary streaming rights at a cost of $125 per course, we ask that you indicate whether you would like the Libraries to purchase the streaming rights at that price. For those films not available for lease, we will attempt to obtain permission from the rights holder of the work.
Once you have submitted your request, you will recieve an email with further details on how the streaming video process works. If you would like to schedule a film screening venue for your class, please view the Hires and Gummere Morley rooms on the Places page.
Haverford Scholarship is a comprehensive and authoritative archive of citations to Haverford College faculty publications. This repository contains over 3,000 records dating back to 1986.
Search by Keyword, Author, or Title:
Faculty wishing to submit citations for inclusion in Haverford Scholarship should contact Norm Medeiros.
Effective January, 2011, the National Science Foundation requires that all applications for research funding include a data management plan to describe how the data created from the funded research will be shared, preserved and described. The library can assist Haverford faculty in managing their data to meet this requirement.
The Library will help researchers locate appropriate disciplinary repositories, when possible. Otherwise, we can work with faculty to provide local solutions, including Institutional Scholarship. Institutional Scholarship is the Tri-College's instance of DSpace, the open source repository software jointly developed by MIT and HP, and widely deployed for academia. Institutional Scholarship can be used to publish and manage data for wider distribution. It also provides enhanced access restrictions and embargo periods that can be applied as requested by researchers. Data files are easily downloaded by either authorized users or a general audience, as permitted.
For those faculty relying on the storage server, please note that data on the storage server is redundantly spread across multiple san servers for easy backup. Tape archives of the data are also archived, and the college maintains both local and off-site copies of these tapes as a normal function of disaster preparedness.
For more information on Data Management support, please contact Norm Medeiros.
- University of Wisconsin Research Data Services
- ICPSR - Guidelines for Effective Data Management Plans
- Cornell Univesity Data Management Planning
Links to data management requirements and plans relevant to specific Directorates, Offices, Divisions, Programs, or other NSF units, are provided below. If guidance specific to the program is not provided, then the requirements established in Grant Proposal Guide, Chapter II.C.2.j apply.
- Education & Human Resources Directorate (EHR)
- Engineering Directorate (ENG)
- Geosciences Directorate (GEO)
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate (MPS)
- Division of Astronomical Sciences
- Division of Chemistry
- Division of Materials Research
- Division of Mathematical Sciences
- Division of Physics
- Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences Directorate (SBE)
For non-NSF data requirements, please consult: http://www.lib.umn.edu/datamanagement/funding
- Atmospheric Science
National Center for Atmospheric Research - Scientific datasets of historical value are curated and catalogued at the Mass Storage System
Dryad - an international repository of data underlying peer-reviewed articles in the basic and applied biosciences.
Protein Data Bank - An Information portal to biological macromolecular structures
UniProt - Submit a new protein sequence to UniProtKB using SPIN, a web-based tool for submitting directly sequenced protein sequences to the Universal Protein Resource (for new nucleotide submissions, use EMBL's WEBIN instead).
PubChem - provides information on the biological activities of small molecules. It includes substance information, compound structures, and bioactivity data in three primary databases, PCSubstance, PCCompound, and PCBioAssay, respectively.
- Computer Science
Cooperative Association for Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA) - provides tools and analyses promoting the engineering and maintenance of a robust, scalable global Internet infrastructure.
- Earth Science
GEON - Portal for sharing, publishing, and integrating data.
National Oceanographic Data Center - NODC is an organization made up of the Oceanographic Data Center, National Coastal Data Development Center, World Data Center for Oceanography, and the NOAA Central Library, integrated to provide access to the world's most comprehensive sources of marine environmental data and information.
- Space Science
National Space Science Data Center - NSSDC accepts data from: active archives in the space sciences funded through the Science Missions Directorate, missions in that same directorate, and individual scientists (mission or instrument principal investigators).
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) - The world's largest archive of digital social science data. ICPSR staff can guide you in preparing your data for archiving and distribution. See their Guide to Social Science Data Preparation and Archiving and their page on Depositing Data.
Additional Data Repositories
New to the Collection
- Sassafrass, Cypress & Indigo : a novel
New York : St. Martin's Griffin, 2010
- The anthology of another town
E. W. (Edgar Watson) Howe
New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 1920
- Con las banderas del Movimiento Nacionalista Revolucionario : el sexenio, 1946-1952
Ral Lema Pelez
La Paz, Bolivia : Editorial Los Amigos del Libro, 1979
- The Tragedy of Macbeth
[London?] : [publisher not identified], [1685?]
- Spanish churches in the Philippines [by] Alicia M.L. Coseteng
Alice M. L. Coseteng
[Manila], [UNESCO National Commission of the Philippines], 
- Cultural studies 1983 : a theoretical history
Durham : Duke University Press, 2016
- The making of a human bomb : an ethnography of Palestinian resistance
Durham : Duke University Press, 2009
- Time series analysis : regression techniques
Charles W Ostrom
Newbury Park, Calif. : Sage Publications, 1990
- Understanding W.G. Sebald
Mark Richard McCulloh
Columbia : University of South Carolina Press, c2003
- Nuestro Guayaquil antiguo
Rodolfo Prez Pimentel
[Ecuador] : [publisher not identified], 1987
- A Hollis Frampton odyssey [DVD]
[Irvington, NY] : The Criterion Collection, 
- La Naturaleza en disputa : retricas del cuerpo y el paisaje en Amrica Latina
Buenos Aires : Paids, 2002
- Los grupos vulnerables en las economas en desarrollo : el caso boliviano : anlisis de la situacin del nio y la mujer
Rolando Morales Anaya
La Paz, Bolivia : Ministerio de Planeamiento y Coodinacin, 1988
- El proceso de desarrollo del capitalismo en la Repblica Dominicana, 1844-1930
Santo Domingo : Gramil, 1979-
- Remembering Greg Kannerstein '63, 1941-2009
[S.l.] : Blurb.com, 
- Religion and magic in western culture
Leiden Boston : Brill, 
- Wall memorials and heritage : the heritage industry of Berlin's Checkpoint Charlie
New York, NY : Routledge, 2016
- Picasso : biographical and critical studies
Geneva : Skira, 1953
- Los jinetes de la cocana
Bogot, Colombia : Editorial Documentos Periodsticos, 1987
- Programas y polticas de desarrollo
Tegucigalpa, D.C., Honduras, C.A. : [COFINSA], 1982
John Wyndham Pope-Hennessy
New York : Abbeville Press, 1985
- Scenes from the enlightenment : a novel of manners
Champaign : Dalkey Archive Press, 2014.
- The Buddha scroll
Boston : Shambhala [New York] : Distributed in the U.S. by Random House, 1999
- Waist-high in the world : a life among the nondisabled
Boston : Beacon Press, 
- Summer in Ivye [DVD]
New York, NY : Cinema Guild, 
- Petrolia : the landscape of America's first oil boom
Baltimore : Johns Hopkins University Press, 2000
- La Historia de mi organizacin
Quito, Ecuador : Centro de Educacin Popular, 1987
- Freedom without permission : bodies and space in the Arab revolutions
Durham : Duke University Press, 2016
- Rrose is a rrose is a rrose : gender performance in photography
New York, N.Y. : Guggenheim Museum : Distributed by H.N. Abrams, 1997
- Metaphysics in Islamic philosophy
Delmar, N.Y. : Caravan Books, 1982
- Escenarios del 85 : entre la estabilizacin y las elecciones
La Paz : Ediciones CINCO, 1985
- Min Okubo : following her own road
Seattle : University of Washington Press, c2008
- New dictionary of theology : historical and systematic
Downers Grove, Illinois : IVP Academic, 
- Ex-centric migrations : Europe and the Maghreb in Mediterranean cinema, literature, and music
Bloomington Indianapolis : Indiana University Press, 
- The freedom schools : student activists in the Mississippi civil rights movement
Jon N. Hale
New York : Columbia University Press, 
- Death and the noble body in medieval England
Woodbridge : Boydell Press, 2008
- Trans : gender and race in an age of unsettled identities
Princeton, NJ : Princeton University Press, 
- Drawing the line : the early work of Agnes Martin
Christina Bryan Rosenberger
Oakland, California : University of California Press, 
- Guatemala indgena
[Guatemala] : Editorial Piedra Santa, 1976
- Historia del movimiento obrero ecuatoriano : breve sntesis
Osvaldo Albornoz Peralta
[Quito?] : Editorial Letranueva, 1983
- Evaluacin econmico-poltica de la reforma agraria
Luis Antezana Ergueta
La Paz, Bolivia : Librera Editorial Juventud , 1986
- The new peasantries : struggles for autonomy and sustainability in an era of empire and globalization
Jan Douwe van der Ploeg
London : Earthscan, 2009
- Encyclopedia of Japanese American internment
Santa Barbara, California : Greenwood, An Imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 2013
- Education of workers' representatives and of management towards improved labour relations : regional experts workshop
Bangkok : Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, 1972?
- The German labour movement : DGB
[Dsseldorf] : German Federation of Trade Unions : DGB, 1973
- Earth user's guide to teaching permaculture
East Meon, Hampshire Permanent Publications, 2014
- Battling the gods : atheism in the ancient world
New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2015
- Irpa Chico : individuo y comunidad en la cultura aymara
William E. Carter
La Paz, Bolivia : Librera-Editorial Juventud, 1982
- The sense of significance : the friendship between Christopher Morley and Buckminster Fuller
Great Britain : Sidaway and Barry, 2015
- Structure and the metaphysics of mind : how hylomorphism solves the mind-body problem
Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2016
- Farewell to Durango : a German lady's diary in Mexico, 1910-1911
Johanne Caroline Wehmeyer Bose
Lake Oswego, Or. : Smith, Smith, and Smith Pub. Co., 1978
- Howard's Haverford : A Legacy of Excellence
[United States?] : [Publisher not identified], 
- Arica, diez mil aos
[Santiago, Chile] : Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino [Iquigue, Chile?] : Universidad de Tarapac, 
- Problemas de la estructura agraria dominicana
Carlos Dore y Cabral
Santo Domingo : Taller, 1979
- Documenting the undocumented : latino/a narratives and social justice in the era of Operation Gatekeeper
Gainesville : University Press of Florida, 
- Engaging the everyday : environmental social criticism and the resonance dilemma
John M Meyer
Cambridge, Mass. : The MIT Press, 2015
- El Dilogo para la democracia
[La Paz, Bolivia?] : Mller & Machicado, [1986 i.e. 1987]
- Public health and private wealth : stem cells, surrogates, and other strategic bodies
New Delhi, India : Oxford University Press, 2016
- Pirkle Jones [DVD] : seven decades photographed : from pictorial California to the politics of the Black Panther Party
United States naf
- Taking chances : the coast after Hurricane Sandy
New Brunswick, New Jersey : Rutgers University Press, 
- Permaculture 1 : a perennial agricultural system for human settlements
B. C Mollison
Melbourne : Transworld Publishers, 1978
- Escuelas radiofnicas
La Paz : Ministerio de Educacin, 
- Jamaica's banana industry : a history of the banana industry with particular reference to the part played by the Jamaica Banana Producers Association, Ltd.
Kingston, Jamaica : The Association, 1984
- The Baltic : a history
Cambridge, Massachusetts London, England : Harvard University Press, 2015
- The Cambridge companion to Mary Shelley
Cambridge, UK New York : Cambridge University Press, 2003
- Arica en el tiempo : resea fotogrfica
[Arica] : Universidade de Chile, Sede Arica, 1980
- The nude in American painting, 1950-1980
Cambridge New York : Cambridge University Press, 1998
- Diseo de un instrumento de anlisis de los movimiento [sic] populares
La Paz : Ediciones CINCO , 
- Teaching emergent bilingual students : flexible approaches in an era of new standards
New York : Guilford Press, 
- The fire this time : a new generation speaks about race
New York : Scribner, 2016
- The transatlantic zombie : slavery, rebellion, and living death
Sarah Juliet Lauro
New Brunswick, New Jersey : Rutgers University Press, 
- Setenta mitos shuar
Marco Vinicio Rueda
[Quito, Ecuador] : Ediciones Abya-Yala, 1987
- Genesis dada : 100 years of dada Zurich
Zurich : Scheidegger & Spiess, 2016
- The kingdom of speech
New York : Little, Brown and Company, 2016
- Memorias del primer ministro obrero : historia del movimiento sindical y poltico boliviano, 1916-1952
Waldo Alvarez Espaa
La Paz, Bolivia : publisher not identified, 1986
- Trade union politics : American unions and economic change, 1960s-1990s
Atlantic Highlands, NJ : Humanities Press, 1995
- Muslim voices of Philadelphia [DVD]
Philadelphia, PA : Scribe Video Center, 2014
- The story of a country town
E. W. (Edgar Watson) Howe
Atchison, Kas. : Howe & Co., 1883
- Rosalie Lightning
New York : St. Martin's Press, 2016
- The Jesuits
J. C. H. (John Cedric H.) Aveling
New York : Dorset Press, 1987, 1981
- The explicit body in performance
London New York : Routledge, 1997
- Art law : a concise guide for artists, curators, and art educators
Michael E. author. Jones
Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Die altslavische Volks- und Kirchenmusik
Wildpark-Potsdam, Akademische Verlagsgesellschaft Athenaion m.b.H. 
- La Real Casa de la Moneda (Potos)
Luis Alfonso Fernndez
La Paz : Editorial Los Amigos del Libro, 1979
- Lonesome You
Champaign : Dalkey Archive Press, 2013.
- Ensayo histrico sobre la revolucin nacional : I. Nacionalizacin de la minera, II. Ciencia y cultura
Alfredo Franco Guachalla
La Paz : Centro de Estudios Polticos Bolivianos (CEPBOL), 1984
- Honduras, cambios o violencia
Jorge Arturo Reina
[Tegucigalpa] : Ediciones ALIPO, 
- Allies or adversaries : NGOs and the state in Africa
Jennifer N. Brass
New York NY : Cambridge University Press, 2016
- Whales & nations : environmental diplomacy on the high seas
Seattle : University of Washington Press, 
- The fortunes
Peter Ho Davies
Boston New York : Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2016
- A good family : stories
Victoria, TX : Dalkey Archive Press, 2015.
- Color of violence : the INCITE! anthology
Durham : Duke University Press, 2016
- The reception of Aristotle's Metaphysics in Avicenna's Kitb al-if : a milestone of Western metaphysical thought
Leiden Boston : Brill, 2006
- Pacific Rim [DVD]
United States naf
- Photographs--Annie Leibovitz, 1970-1990
New York : HarperCollins Publishers, 1991
- A floating Chinaman : fantasy and failure across the Pacific
Cambridge, Massachusetts London, England : Harvard University Press, 
- Food rebellions! : crisis and the hunger for justice
Cape Town : Pambazuka Press Oakland, CA : Food First Books Boston, MA : Grassroots International, 2009
- Too late to die young : nearly true tales from a life
Harriet McBryde Johnson
New York : Picador, 2006