Borrowing Privileges (for You, Your Research Assistant, and Your Family)
To view what your may check out and for how long, please view the Services page. New and Visiting Faculty must visit Magill Library front desk in person to activate their library account.
Your Research Assistant
Faculty may request proxy borrowing privileges for their student research assistants. Proxy privileges allow a student to borrow materials in a faculty member's name with the faculty member's borrowing privileges. The faculty member will be responsible for all materials thus borrowed; the faculty member should ensure that the research assistant is using the privilege solely to obtain materials needed by the faculty member or required by the research assistant's assigned project.
Click here to apply for these privileges.
Your partner and children may have courtesy borrowing privileges at Haverford, Bryn Mawr, and Swarthmore libraries. To apply, please visit the Magill Library front desk with appropriate ID.
Research & Course Instruction Support
Subject librarians are happy to assist you in any way possible, from creating resource guides for your course to visiting your class.
In support of the faculty, librarians teach students research skills and strategies, including the very critical work of finding and interrogating texts, in both print and digital formats. Librarians also facilitate rich, complex, dynamic, and dialectic engagement with these texts. At all academic levels, librarians foster information literacy, understanding, critical reflection, knowledge production, and scholarship with classes, while also providing intensive, one-on-one support of students throughout their college career and culminating in their senior capstone projects.
Librarians provide a scaffolding of instruction that takes students from the basics of library catalogs and database searching, through an informed use of both print and digital sources, to an insider view of their chosen discipline's literature. Students at each level are encouraged to develop the evaluative and critical skills that will lead them to more complex projects. Librarians help students learn to contextualize ideas, whether on the screen or in print, and to see themselves as active participants in a purposeful conversation.
Librarians work with faculty to provide instruction tailored to the needs of a particular class in terms of its subject matter. They prepare web pages of relevant resources, so that students can become familiar with the key tools they need for research (see the Tri-College list of guides for current courses). In their discussions with classes, librarians bring in examples of content and issues that relate to course readings and to individual student research topics. They also explain strategies for navigating library systems, scholarly literatures, and the hybrid world of digital and print resources.
The Library's instruction format is very flexible. It can be used in the classroom, in the library, or in a workshop outside of class hours. Students also work individually with librarians on approaches to and resources for a research question. Many students, particularly senior thesis writers, remain in contact with their librarians throughout their projects. Content for instruction can focus on a class research paper, on particular databases, on resources for a subject area, or whatever will be most useful to students.
Subject librarians work closely with individual departments to assist faculty in their research projects and in preparing courses. We can help you plan research strategies, access key databases, and stay current in academic fields. Please take advantage of these services and ask about more:
Inquiries and Research
- Quick answers that can save you time. "I have part of a citation but can’t find the article."
- In-depth research help with resources and databases that librarians use with facility. "The cited reference search in the Web of Science indicates that Bennett’s article has had an impact beyond the field of gender studies."
- Orientation to research in a field or topic area that is new to you.
- Notifications about relevant new titles from your departmental librarian.
Information Management and Publishing.
- Advice on data access, manipulation, and storage.
- Assistance in working with different formats (image, film, audio), including access, rights, and reproduction.
- Help with managing citations through bibliographic software like Zotero and EndNote.
- Information about publishing, copyright, review sources, and the ways that libraries provide access to scholarship.
Work with Students and Classes
- Initial training for your student research assistants and support for them throughout their projects.
- Course guides tailored to the topics in your individual class and the needs of your students.
- Class instruction on research methods and resources pertinent to specific projects. Faculty decide on the length of the session and location (classroom or library).
- Workshops (outside of class) teach a variety of proficiencies which students need as they progress toward the senior capstone project. Faculty can recommend workshops to students in order to build their skills.
- Librarians meet individually with students to give them guidance throughout the research process. They facilitate students’ use and understanding of a wide array of materials, both print and digital, available beyond the collections in the Tri-Colleges.
Collections and Resources
- Library collections at Haverford that support your teaching and research interests can be developed through a partnership with your departmental librarian.
- Library staff have extensive experience in acquiring material published across the globe, out-of-print titles, and other hard-to-get items.
- There are additional relevant collections at Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore, most materials deliverable within 24 hours.
- Assistance in identifying rare materials in tri-college collections that will serve teaching and research needs. Also help in finding digital or microfilm copies of rare materials along with information about where the original material can be viewed.
- A wide array of resources beyond the tri-colleges is available with expedited services through E-Z Borrow, Interlibrary Loan, and Article Delivery.
- Haverford faculty members have privileges to borrow materials at the University of Pennsylvania and may use collections at Princeton and other research libraries through Haverford’s membership in SHARES.
- Digital Services and Scholarship staff works with faculty, students and Instructional and Informational Technology Services Staff to produce digital projects for classes and for longer term projects.
- For more information, see the Digital Scholarship page.
To find out more, please contact your subject librarian:
To see what is on electronic reserves for a particular course, please log in to Moodle.
To add materials to electronic reserves, please contact Theresa Donahue (Magill Library), Dora Wong (White Science Library & Astronomy Library), Adam Crandell (Union Music Library), or your administrative assistant, as appropriate.
To see what is on physical reserves for a particular course, search by either professor last name or course number/name:
To add materials to physical reserves, please fill out the form below or visit any library front desk.
Streaming Media for Your Course
The Libraries will make streaming versions of media available in Moodle course sites. We will stream media in keeping with the TEACH Act, the College's Copyright policy, and available library resources. This means that:
- We will require a copy of the final course syllabus, on which the title of the work must appear.
- Works to be streamed must be owned by the Libraries. We will attempt to purchase copies of media for our collection when possible.
- We will not prepare for streaming third-party copies, recordings or transfers, including rentals or personal recordings of broadcasted material.
In order to request streaming audio for a course, please send a list of required recordings and your course syllabus at least 2 weeks before the semester (or date needed for streaming) to Adam Crandell. Once the streaming audio is ready, it will be linked in your Moodle course.
In order to request streaming video for a course, please fill out this form for each film and send your course syllabus to Laurie Allen. Once the streaming video is ready, it will be linked in your Moodle course.
Because many films are only available for temporary streaming rights at a cost of $125 per course, we ask that you indicate whether you would like the Libraries to purchase the streaming rights at that price. For those films not available for lease, we will attempt to obtain permission from the rights holder of the work.
Once you have submitted your request, you will recieve an email with further details on how the streaming video process works. If you would like to schedule a film screening venue for your class, please view the Hires and Gummere Morley rooms on the Places page.
Haverford Scholarship is a comprehensive and authoritative archive of citations to Haverford College faculty publications. This repository contains over 3,000 records dating back to 1986.
Search by Keyword, Author, or Title:
Faculty wishing to submit citations for inclusion in Haverford Scholarship should contact Norm Medeiros.
Effective January, 2011, the National Science Foundation requires that all applications for research funding include a data management plan to describe how the data created from the funded research will be shared, preserved and described. The library can assist Haverford faculty in managing their data to meet this requirement.
The Library will help researchers locate appropriate disciplinary repositories, when possible. Otherwise, we can work with faculty to provide local solutions, including Triceratops. Triceratops is Haverford's instance of DSpace, the open source repository software jointly developed by MIT and HP, and widely deployed for academia. Triceritops can be used to publish, manage, and preserve data for wider distribution. It also provides enhanced access restrictions and embargo periods that can be applied as requested by researchers. Data files are easily downloaded by either authorized users or a general audience, as permitted.
For those faculty relying on the storage server, please note that data on the storage server is redundantly spread across multiple san servers for easy backup. Tape archives of the data are also archived, and the college maintains both local and off-site copies of these tapes as a normal function of disaster preparedness.
- University of Wisconsin Research Data Services
- ICPSR - Guidelines for Effective Data Management Plans
- Cornell Univesity Data Management Planning
Links to data management requirements and plans relevant to specific Directorates, Offices, Divisions, Programs, or other NSF units, are provided below. If guidance specific to the program is not provided, then the requirements established in Grant Proposal Guide, Chapter II.C.2.j apply.
- Education & Human Resources Directorate (EHR)
- Engineering Directorate (ENG)
- Geosciences Directorate (GEO)
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate (MPS)
- Division of Astronomical Sciences
- Division of Chemistry
- Division of Materials Research
- Division of Mathematical Sciences
- Division of Physics
- Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences Directorate (SBE)
For non-NSF data requirements, please consult: http://www.lib.umn.edu/datamanagement/funding
- Atmospheric Science
National Center for Atmospheric Research - Scientific datasets of historical value are curated and catalogued at the Mass Storage System
Dryad - an international repository of data underlying peer-reviewed articles in the basic and applied biosciences.
Protein Data Bank - An Information portal to biological macromolecular structures
UniProt - Submit a new protein sequence to UniProtKB using SPIN, a web-based tool for submitting directly sequenced protein sequences to the Universal Protein Resource (for new nucleotide submissions, use EMBL's WEBIN instead).
PubChem - provides information on the biological activities of small molecules. It includes substance information, compound structures, and bioactivity data in three primary databases, PCSubstance, PCCompound, and PCBioAssay, respectively.
- Computer Science
Cooperative Association for Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA) - provides tools and analyses promoting the engineering and maintenance of a robust, scalable global Internet infrastructure.
- Earth Science
GEON - Portal for sharing, publishing, and integrating data.
National Oceanographic Data Center - NODC is an organization made up of the Oceanographic Data Center, National Coastal Data Development Center, World Data Center for Oceanography, and the NOAA Central Library, integrated to provide access to the world's most comprehensive sources of marine environmental data and information.
- Space Science
National Space Science Data Center - NSSDC accepts data from: active archives in the space sciences funded through the Science Missions Directorate, missions in that same directorate, and individual scientists (mission or instrument principal investigators).
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) - The world's largest archive of digital social science data. ICPSR staff can guide you in preparing your data for archiving and distribution. See their Guide to Social Science Data Preparation and Archiving and their page on Depositing Data.
Additional Data Repositories
New to the Collection
- Biological psychology : an introduction to behavioral, cognitive, and clinical neuroscience
S. Marc Breedlove
Sunderland, Massachusetts : Sinauer Associates, Inc., Publishers, 
- Possessing spirits and healing selves : embodiment and transformation in an Afro-Brazilian religion
New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014
- Aurality : listening and knowledge in nineteenth-century Colombia
Ana Mara Ochoa Gautier
Durham : Duke University Press, 2014
- Strokephone : brain phone interface : uploading knowledge in the human brain
Charleroi, Belgium : Christine Kermaire, 
- A Medieval Latin Miscellany : An Intermediate Reader
[United States] : [CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform], 
- Black Dynamite [DVD]
Culver City, Calif. : Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, 
- Status interaction during the reign of Louis XIV
Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2014
- Imogen Cunningham, 1883-1976
Kln : New York : Taschen, c2001
- The cancer journals
San Francisco : Aunt Lute Books, c1997
- In the first circle : a novel, the restored text
Aleksandr Isaevich Solzhenitsyn
New York : Harper Perennial, c2009
- The color of Christ : the Son of God & the saga of race in America
Edward J Blum
Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, c2012
- The Agamemnon of Aeschylus : a commentary for students
Oxford New York : Oxford University Press, 2011
- Preaching on wax : the phonograph and the shaping of modern African American religion
Lerone A. Martin
New York : New York University Press, 
- My name is Khan [DVD]
Beverly Hills, Calif. : 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, c2010
- Cancer made me a shallower person : a memoir in comics
New York, NY : Harper, c2006
- The sociology of health & illness : critical perspectives
New York, NY : Worth Publishers, c2013
- Black culture and Black consciousness : Afro-American folk thought from slavery to freedom
Lawrence W Levine
Oxford New York : Oxford University Press, 2007
- On the nature of things
Titus Lucretius Carus
Indianapolis : Hackett Pub., 2001
- Dred : a tale of the Great Dismal Swamp
Harriet Beecher Stowe
North Carolina : University of North Carolina Press, 2006
- Water and shadow : Kawase Hasui and Japanese landscape prints
Richmond : Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Leiden : Hotei Publishing, 
- Dramatic action in Greek tragedy and Noh : reading with and beyond Aristotle
Mae J. Smethurst
Lanham : Lexington Books, 
- Theodore Rex
New York : Random House, c2001
- Gli epigrammata longa del decimo libro di Marziale : introduzione, testo, traduzione e commento
Pisa : ETS, 2012
- Uncle Tom's cabin
Harriet Beecher Stowe
New York : Dover Publications, 2005
- Thomas Reid's Inquiry and essays
Indianapolis : Hackett Pub. Co., c1983
- A Seneca reader : selections from prose and tragedy
Mundelein, Ill. : Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, c2011
- The human condition
Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1998
- Songs of innocence and of experience with an introd. and commentary by Sir Geoffrey Keynes
London, Oxford University Press [1970.]
- Cognitive neuroscience
Marie T. Banich
Belmont, CA : Wadsworth, Cengage Learning, c2011
- Principles of Islamic jurisprudence
Mohammad Hashim Kamali
Cambridge, UK : Islamic Texts Society, 2003
- I work the street : Joan Colom, photographs 1957-2010
Barcelona : Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya [Madrid] : La Fbrica, 2014
- Star dust
New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, c2006
- The Iliad
New York, N.Y. : Penguin Books, 1998
- Concerning violence [DVD] : nine scenes from the anti-imperialistic self-defense
United States Sweden Finland Denmark naf
- Candide, or, Optimism : a fresh translation, backgrounds, criticism
New York : Norton, c1991
- 18th century : birth of design : furniture masterpieces 1650-1790
Dijon : ditions Faton, 
- Seeing like a state : how certain schemes to improve the human condition have failed
James C Scott
New Haven [Conn.] : Yale University Press, c1998
- The loss of sadness : how psychiatry transformed normal sorrow into depressive disorder
Allan V Horwitz
Oxford New York : Oxford University Press, 2012
- The Forward book of poetry
London : Forward Pub., c1992-
- The question concerning technology, and other essays
New York : Harper & Row, 1977
- The act of killing [DVD]
Denmark Norway Great Britain Finland naf
- Organizing exhibitions : a handbook for museums, libraries and archives
London : Facet Publishing, 
- The strategic president : persuasion and opportunity in presidential leadership
George C Edwards
Princeton, N.J. Woodstock : Princeton University Press, 2012
- Egon Schiele : portraits
Munich : Prestel New York : Neue Galerie, 2014
- The love doll
[New York : Salon 94 Tokyo : Tomio Koyama, 2012]
- Midaq Alley
New York : Anchor Books, 1992
- The life and adventures of Joaqun Murieta, the celebrated California bandit
John Rollin Ridge
Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, c1955, 1977
- Works. Selections. 2014
Guy de Maupassant
[Paris] : Gallimard, 2014
- Korean cuisine : an illustrated history
Michael J Pettid
London : Reaktion Books, 2008
Milano : Skira, c2010-
- Factional politics in post-Khomeini Iran
Syracuse : Syracuse University Press, 2002
- Women and work in eighteenth-century France
Baton Rouge : Louisiana State University Press, 
- Le Prugin : matre de Raphal : ouvrage publi l'occasion de l'exposition au Muse Jacquemart-Andr du 12 septembre 2014 au 19 janvier 2015
Bruxelles : Fonds Mercator, 
- Mexican political biographies, 1935-2009
Roderic A Camp
Austin : University of Texas Press, 2011
- The brilliant history of color in art
Los Angeles : J. Paul Getty Museum, 
- Neither victims nor executioners
Eugene, OR : Wipf and Stock in association with the Resource Center for Nonviolence, 2007
- London's contemporary architecture : an explorer's guide
London New York, NY : Routledge, 2014
- From Black power to hip hop : racism, nationalism, and feminism
Patricia Hill Collins
Philadelphia : Temple University Press, 2006
- What's left of Enlightenment? : a postmodern question
Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press, 2001
- A history of the two Indies : a translated selection of writings from Raynal's Histoire philosophique et politique des tablisments des Europans dans les des deux Indes
abb (Guillaume-Thomas-Franois) Raynal
Aldershot, Hants, England Burlington, Vt. : Ashgate, c2006
- The war comes home : Washington's battle against America's veterans
Berkeley, Calif. London : University of California Press, 
- The dinner party : restoring women to history
New York : The Monacelli Press, c2014
- Euripides III Hecuba, Andromache, the Trojan woman, Ion, Ed. by David Grene and Richard Lattimore
University of Chicago Press 
- Man push cart [DVD]
United States naf
- Routledge handbook of the climate change movement
London New York : Routledge, Earthscan from Routledge, 2014
- Diccionario de la lengua espaola
[Madrid] : Real Academia Espaola Barcelona : Espasa Libros, 2014
- Black no more : being an account of the strange and wonderful workings of science in the Land of the Free, A.D. 1933-1940
George S. (George Samuel) Schuyler
Mineola, New York : Dover, 2011
- Mao II
New York : Penguin Books, 1992, 1991
- Art since 1960
New York, N.Y. : Thames & Hudson, 2014
Santa Fe, NM : Radius Books, 
- Basic immunology : functions and disorders of the immune system
Abul K. Abbas
Philadelphia, PA : Elsevier/Saunders, 
- Light and photomedia : a new history and future of the photographic image
London : I.B. Tauris, 2014
- Hugo [DVD]
United States naf
- Lucretius : his continuing influence and contemporary relevance
Rochester, N.Y. : RIT Cary Graphic Arts Press, 2011
- East, west : stories
New York : Vintage International, 1996
- The silence of the women : Bamana mud cloths
Sarah C. Brett-Smith
Milan : 5 Continents Editions New York : distributed in the United States and Canada by Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 
- Sophocles II
Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1969
- Maus : a survivor's tale
New York : Pantheon Books, c2011
- Contemporary Chinese Art : a History, 1970s>2000s
1945- Wu Hung
London : Thames & Hudson, 
- Eve Arnold
Cinisello Balsamo, Milano [Italy] : SilvanaEditoriale, 2014
- Orthodox canon law reference book
Brookline, Massachusetts : Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 
- California girls
Bologna, Italy : Damiani, 
- An essay concerning human understanding : abridged and edited, with an introduction and notes
Indianapolis, Ind. : Hackett Pub. Co., c1996
- Troilus and Cressida : with new and updated critical essays and a revised bibliography
New York, N.Y. : Signet Classic, 2002
- The neutered mother, the sexual family, and other twentieth century tragedies
New York : Routledge, 1995
- Uncle Remus, his songs and his sayings
Joel Chandler Harris
New York : Penguin Books, 1986
- The call of Bilal : Islam in the African diaspora
Edward E. Curtis
Chapel Hill : The University of North Carolina Press, 
- Religion in India : a historical introduction
Fred W Clothey
London New York : Routledge, 2006
- Second treatise of government
Indianapolis, Ind. : Hackett Pub. Co., c1980
- A history of Europe in the modern world
R. R. (Robert Roswell) Palmer
New York, NY : McGraw-Hill Education, 
- The complete stories
New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, c1971
- A treatise concerning the principles of human knowledge. part I : wherein the chief causes of error and difficulty in the sciences, with the grounds of skepticism, atheism, and irreligion, are inquir'd into
Indianapolis : Hackett Pub. Co., 1995, 1982
- Queering the canon : defying sights in German literature and culture
Columbia, SC : Camden House, 1998
- An epidemic of rumors : how stories shape our perception of disease
Jon D. Lee
Boulder, Colorado : Utah State University Press, 
- Light in August : the corrected text
New York : Vintage Books, 1990
- Concepts in thermal physics
Oxford New York : Oxford University Press, 2010
- The beast in the jungle and other stories
New York : Dover Publications, 1993
- The story of the Jews : a 4,000-year adventure
Woodstock, Vt. : Jewish Lights Publishing, 2011
- Stephan Keppel : Entre entree
Amsterdam : Fw: Amsterdam 2014
- Political magic : British fictions of savagery and sovereignty, 1650-1750
Christopher F. Loar
New York : Fordham University Press, 2014
- Words and deeds in Renaissance Rome : trials before the papal magistrates
Thomas V. (Thomas Vance) Cohen
Toronto Buffalo : University of Toronto Press, c1993
- Sense and sensibilia
J. L. (John Langshaw) Austin
London : Oxford University Press, 1964
- New international dictionary of New Testament theology
Grand Rapids, Michigan : Zondervan, 
- Fundamentals of Arabic grammar
New York, NY : Routledge, 2014
- A critical and exegetical commentary on the Acts of the Apostles
C. K. (Charles Kingsley) Barrett
Edinburgh : T&T Clark, 1994-
- The violence of the image : photography and international conflict
London : I.B. Tauris, 2014
Olivier (Olivier J.) Blanchard
Boston : Pearson, 
- The tale of the Heike
New York : Viking, 2012
- Mules and men
Zora Neale Hurston
New York : Perennial Library, 1990
- Domination and the arts of resistance : hidden transcripts
James C Scott
New Haven : Yale University Press, c1990
- Fields of combat : understanding PTSD among veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan
Erin P. Finley
Ithaca : ILR Press, 2011
- Ergodic theory and fractal geometry
Providence, Rhode Island : Published for the Conference Board of the Mathematical Sciences by the American Mathematical Society, 
- Les crans de l'ombre : la Seconde Guerre mondiale dans le cinma franais, 1944-1969
Paris : ditions Points, 2014
- Keep your eye on the wall : Palestinian landscapes
London : Saqi Books, 2013
- Edwardian London through Japanese eyes : the art and writings of Yoshio Markino, 1897-1915
William S. Rodner
Leiden Boston : Brill, 2012
- Orientals : Asian Americans in popular culture
Robert G. Lee
Philadelphia : Temple University Press, 1999
- The philosophy of language
New York : Oxford University Press, 2013
- All quiet on the Western front
Erich Maria Remarque
New York : Ballantine Books, 1982, c1958
- Six records of a floating life
London, England New York, N.Y., USA : Penguin, 1983
- The image of the Black in Western art
Cambridge, Mass. : Belknap Press of Harvard University Press : In collaboration with the W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research [Houston, Tex.] : Menil Collection, 2010-
Mineola, N.Y. : Dover Publications, 2006
- Rabbit-proof fence [DVD]
Montral : Alliance, 2011, c2002
- Illness as metaphor and, AIDS and its metaphors
New York : Picador USA, , c1989
- Approaching the Qurn : the early revelations
Michael Anthony Sells
Ashland, Or. : White Cloud Press, 2007
- Benito Cereno
New York : Bedford/St. Martins, 2006
- Mirroring the Japanese empire : the male figure in yga painting, 1930-1950
Leiden Boston : Brill, 2015
- Bhagavadgt. English
New York : W.W. : Norton & Company, 2015
- Contemporary art in Asia : a critical reader
Cambridge, Mass. : MIT Press, c2011
- The Communist manifesto
New York, N.Y. : Signet Classics, 2011
- The city is ours : squatting and autonomous movements in Europe from the 1970s to the present
Oakland, Calif. : PM Press, 2014
- Redesigning the American dream : the future of housing, work, and family life
New York : W.W. Norton, c2002
- The outrage industry : political opinion media and the new incivility
Jeffrey M. Berry
Oxford New York : Oxford University Press, USA, 2014
- Black performance theory
Durham London : Duke University Press, 2014
- The portable Enlightenment reader
New York : Penguin Books, 1995
- Mother of George [DVD]
Nigeria United States naf
- Revolution : the great crisis of the British monarchy, 1685-1720
London : Penguin, 2007
- Genetic analysis : genes, genomes, and networks in eukaryotes
Philip Mark Meneely
Oxford : Oxford University Press, 
New York : W.W. Norton, c2009
- Mohammad Mosaddeq and the 1953 coup in Iran
Syracuse : Syracuse University Press, 2004
- The Settlers' Empire : Colonialism and State Formation in America's Old Northwest
Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, 
- The shoemaker and the tea party : memory and the American Revolution
Alfred Fabian Young
Boston : Beacon Press, c1999
- Total confinement : madness and reason in the maximum security prison
Lorna A. (Lorna Amarasingham) Rhodes
Berkeley, Calif. : University of California Press, c2004
- Dunant's dream : war, Switzerland, and the history of the Red Cross
New York : Carroll & Graf Pub., 1999
- The Jews and the Bible
Stanford, California : Stanford University Press, 
- Burning down the house : the end of juvenile prison
New York, NY : The New Press, 2014
- Bartleby, the scrivener
New York : Dover Publications, 1990
- Harem years : the memoirs of an Egyptian feminist (1879-1924)
New York : Feminist Press at the City University of New York, 1987, c1986
- Judicial politics in polarized times
Thomas Moylan Keck
Chicago : The University of Chicago Press, 2014
- The kissing sailor : the mystery behind the photo that ended World War II
Annapolis, Md. : Naval Institute Press, 2012
- Shade it black : death and after in Iraq
Philadelphia : Casemate Publishers, 2011
- A sustainable life : Quaker faith and practice in the renewal of creation
Philadelphia, PA : QuakerPress of Friends General Conference, 2014
- Achilles in Vietnam : combat trauma and the undoing of character
New York : Atheneum Toronto : Maxwell Macmillan Canada New York : Maxwell Macmillan International, 1994
- Molecular biology of the cell, sixth edition - the problems book
John H. Wilson
New York, NY Abingdon, UK : Garland Science, 2015
- Marc Riboud : 60 ans de photographie = 60 years of photography
Paris : Flammarion, 
- Who's Irish? : stories
New York : A.A. Knopf, 2000
- Invisible man
New York : Vintage International, 1995
- Curationism : how curating took over the art world and everything else
Toronto : Coach House Books, 
- The politics of Harry Potter
New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012
- Goddamn this war!
Jacques illustrator Tardi
Seattle, Washington : Fantagraphics Books 2014